Friday, January 25, 2013

Defining Culture


Culture: a simple word with a not so simple meaning. According to Merriam-Webster, culture is: "the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also: the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time" (www.m-w.com). Of course, there's more to it, but this definition, I would say, hits the nail on the head.

Culture is your way of life, and what ultimately influences everything that happens in your life. It is what makes you the person you are. Culture is not something that can be learned in an educational setting, like how to annotate literary text or how to derive an equation. It’s naturally learned and instilled in you from the day you were born. Throughout your life, you may decide to alter it or tweak it up a bit to fit your evolving lifestyle, sticking with the things you feel are necessary, and getting rid of those that aren't. Even though culture can be personal, it can also overlap between different people. A particular culture can fit one person; just as it can an entire group. Some aspects may be the same-some different, but all in all, everyone has a culture that they are a part of and can relate to.

 I really like this quote relating to culture because it aligns so perfectly with my own definition:

“Culture is everything. Culture is the way we dress, the way we carry our heads, the way we walk, the way we tie our ties-it is not only the fact of writing books and building houses”
                                                                                                            -Aimé Cesairé
Do you agree with this quote? What are your views on culture? Is life centered around it or is it just a mere aspect of life? What exactly does culture mean to you?


3 comments:

  1. I agree with this quote. But I believe culture is not life centered because, us, as humans define culture. If we didn't make the clothes or our ancestors didn't pass down certain traits there wouldn't be a culture to depend on. Culture to me means a humans production through creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with the quote. I also discussed how "culture is everything" in my blog. I think it's interesting that you said that one person can have their own culture. This is true, because we all do our own things and live our own life, and everything we do makes up our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your choice of definitions for culture. I believe that a person's "culture" is created from the influences from family, friends, neighborhood, etc. A person has a choice as to what they want their culture to be but for the most part I think it is created by our support system whatever that may be

    ReplyDelete